This is the time of year where we have some brides in the store who are planning epic elopements. We know some of our brides dream of eloping about half way through the traditional planning! But we also know that some brides just choose to elope from the beginning. Today's blog, we're going to dive into how to plan an elopement.
There are a lot of reasons for couples to choose an elopement:
- it's generally less expensive as you can do away with a lot of things that traditional weddings have.
- you can choose a destination and have amazing pictures. Think BC mountains, Maine oceanfront, Niagara Falls wine country, and so much more!
- you avoid so much drama. This is especially key if you have a lot of family members or friends with strong or opposing opinions.
So if you want to elope, here's some things to consider:
- Location. Where will you elope to? Just head down to city hall or make a trip out of it! Some place have elopement packages where they take care of everything for you. So do some googling and figure out where you want to go.
- Guests. Who will you take with you? Just the two of you or bring along a maid of honour + best man? Ask your parents to attend? There are no right or wrong answers and this is a personal choice. Talk to your fiancé and decide together who you want to be there.
- Party. Lots of brides + grooms who choose to elope decide to have a party later on to celebrate the wedding. This again is a personal decision but this party can be more casual and laid back than a traditional wedding.
If you're going to elope, here's some things you shouldn't skip out on:
- Your bouquet. Order a beautiful bouquet or make your own. But having a bouquet will make you feel and look like a bride in your wedding pictures.
- Your gown. Your pictures are what's going to last forever. No matter where you get married or how many people are present, you are still a bride! Your gown will help you feel and look like a bride. You can find a gown that makes you feel like a bride while not being over the top for the location of your wedding.
- Your photographer. Your pictures are the only thing that will last beyond your day. So no matter where your wedding is, you choose always invest in a good photographer. Consider using one who has experience with elopements or photographing a small wedding.
The best thing about doing an elopement is that you can tie some kind of adventure to it. Go for a hike in the mountains and get some epic photos. Go on a wine tour and snap some pictures along the way. Go snowboarding afterwards. Whatever it is that you and your fiancé are into, find a way to incorporate that into your elopement.
If you're considering eloping or having a smaller wedding, our staff at Once Upon A Time Weddings can totally help you out with your gown. Almost all of the gowns in our store can be sold off the rack. This means that no matter what timeframe you have, we can help! And we have some beautiful gowns that would be perfect for an intimate elopement.