What’s not to love about a destination wedding?
A week’s vacation, an escape from freezing temperatures, unlimited drinks all week long, it’s a brides dream come true! Often times we find that brides choose a destination wedding because it seems easier, more fun and more relaxing! And while it can be all those things, there is still some planning involved to orchestrate a beautiful destination wedding that runs smoothly.
Today on the blog, we’re sharing some of our best tips to help those planning an epic destination wedding!
1. Research the chosen location for a venue, vendors, hotels, and things to do.
-Block off rooms for guests at hotel once you've received a head count.
-Determine if you need transportation to and from the hotel to venue.
-Find a local florist, rental companies, DJ, suit rental, officiant, and other wedding vendors.
2. Send save the dates a little earlier than usual to give guests time to mark off their calendars, plan the vacation, and get passports if needed.
3. Research legalities of the region:
-Are there different marriage requirements in that country, will you require insurance, etc. Make sure that you research this early. You don’t want to be a few weeks out from the wedding and realize that your wedding won’t be legal or that there’s extra hoops you have to jump through.
- Also research any day excursions or activities that you + your guests may want to participate in during the week of fun.
4. Stay in touch with confirmed guests:
- Email them the weather predictions, send them a generic packing list, let them know name of hotel that you've blocked off rooms for, send them some flight options, include a welcome package at resort with a list of local things to do and itinerary for the week, etc.
5. The 'things you really don't wanna forget' packing list:
-Proper paperwork to obtain marriage license, passport, drivers license, birth certificate...
-Copies of vendor contracts
-Cash/credit cards (only take the cards you need)
-Wedding day attire: Undergarments, make-up, hair products, jewelry, wedding rings, etc.
6. Selecting an on-site wedding planner can make your lives a lot easier when planning because the planner will know vendors and can do almost all the leg work for you leading up to your arrival.
7. Confirm all travel arrangements + vendor dates a month before leaving.
8. Give your guests a gift upon arrival as a thank you for traveling + attending.
-A package in their hotel room with mini sunscreen, a customized shirt or hat to wear that week, chapstick...things that would be fitting for your location; along with a schedule for the week + list of things to do in that area!
-Maybe throw them a welcome dinner party or a brunch the morning after your wedding as a thank you or schedule an outing the next day with those guests who are still around!
And no matter what type of wedding you’re having, if you’re still on the hunt for the perfect gown, we’d love to have you in the store. You can book an appointment below or text us at 519.319.6623.